Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Snow Days: The Gift at Our Feet


Why would a native Floridian want to make every day a snow day? Well, there’s the ‘you always want what you can’t have’ reason. But that seems to lose something in translation as it passes through freezing temperatures on it’s way to becoming snowflakes. It’s more about creating, exploring, sharing and playing.


I grew up in Orlando and enjoyed a childhood rich in what Florida offers – sunshine and water! Give me a warm sunny day, a body of water, a boogie board, a boat and skis, some family and friends and I’m a happy girl. It was a fun-filled childhood with few complaints.


And then the Sears, Roebuck catalog arrived. Let’s see….jewelry, kitchen appliances, tools, shoes, clothes, and what’s this….winter clothes? Win-ter cloth-es. Seriously? Who really needs ALL THAT STUFF. The hat. The scarf. The turtleneck. The sweater. The coat. The gloves. The boots. Give. Me. A. Break. Just dig out your close-toed shoes and a windbreaker and go play.


But something caught my eye. Those images were intriguing. As I took a closer look, I imagined the adventure that was about to begin. The two girls were bundled up like Christmas presents. They had a twinkle in their eyes, a sled, a puppy and a field of snow. I didn’t have any of that. It was different than anything I had ever experienced and it seemed like fun. So perhaps, given the opportunity, I could make room in my closet for some turtlenecks and some cable knit sweaters. A hat and gloves wouldn’t be so bad, right? But being a 12-year-old Floridian, it was difficult to convince people to give me a winter wonderland to test drive. And I can’t think of any Floridians (native or transplanted-snowbird, living or dead) who would tell you that freezing temperatures and snow could be a good thing. But I decided that I needed to investigate for myself.


It took a while, but I did investigate. I found out. And the final conclusion is that, to me, snow is beautifully and complexly diverse. The perfectly formed ice crystals fall from the heavens - a gift - landing at our feet. It's like nothing else I know. You can throw it, catch it, kick it, eat it, color it, melt it, freeze it, slide on it, build with it, climb on it, mold it, shape it, form it....so many options! You can enjoy the silence it creates as it falls, or the joyous chatter it brings when it has landed. You can ignore it or embrace it. Either is fine. Walk in it, or just peek at it through the curtains. Snow gives you choices.


So while we don't have a choice about how much snow will fall, we do have a choice about what to do when it does. And if you are lucky, a snow day will land in your lap when you least expect it.


Expected or not, snow days let you enjoy some cozy time in your pajamas with a good book or a stack of movies. Snow days let you feel like a child again as you repeatedly 'demonstrate' safe sledding to your children. Snow days let you turn the kitchen into a flour-covered cookie factory with your ‘tween-age sons. Snow days let you connect with neighbors over a bowl of chili and a margarita at noon on a Tuesday. A snow day will even let you stay in bed with the covers over your head. Like eating the first three cookies hot off the cookie sheet, snow days can’t be held against you. But they give you just enough freedom to let you 'be' what you normally wouldn’t. And isn’t that refreshing?


So some might say that my life is like a snow day. For that I owe thanks to my witty and inspiring husband, my loveable teenage sons, my devoted dog, and the hundreds of uplifting people with whom I have crossed paths, or developed friendships. I’ve only lived in three different states, but added to the three other countries I’ve inhabited, it culminates into something I’m proud to say is my life. Snow day or not, we should all make the choice to carve out a niche for relationships and interests and sharing. It's a good way to develop our adventure called life.


I have to admit that convincing others to love snow the way I love snow is a massive task. But I’ll keep working on it. And no matter the weather, let every day be a snow day!


I am Debbie. This is my blog. Let the snow day begin.



1 comment: